Thursday, November 29, 2007

Christmas Cheer

Merry Christmas! It's funny to see how off-guard cashiers are when I say this to them at the store. It's okay to wish people happy holidays!!

Last night, our little family hit the Festival of Trees. This is an annual event where different families, organizations, companies, etc. donate amazingly decorated trees that are on sale. All proceeds go to Primary Children's Hospital. There was a mesmerizing Christmas spirit there as we walked down aisles and aisles of trees, wreathes, displays, and so forth. Kadence had a ball, dancing to the music, pointing at trees she liked (namely the ones that had anything remotely to do with Cinderella, Mickey Mouse, and Elmo), and seeing a lot of children everywhere. The creativity of some of these trees was remarkable. We absolutely love our time together as a family!

I had an LDS Philanthropies Christmas retreat yesterday, which was wonderful as well. I'm blessed to work with truly choice people. It was my privilege to share a message about my experiences with our donors and the incredible bunch of students I work with at the BYU Telefund. I sure love them.

Sunday night, Elizabeth and I went to the Messiah Sing-In at Abravenel Hall in Salt Lake City. Thanks to Mother, this has become a beloved Christmas tradition for our family, started 12 or 13 years ago. It's amazing that Handel wrote this in just a few short days. Although the music is challenging at times, we both enjoyed it immensely. Thanks to Dad, Donna, and Carissa for tending the girls.

We visited my 91-year old grandmother that same night at the hospital. The doctors found a huge tumor and it's looking like we don't have much time left with her. It's difficult to see someone you love in pain. She has been the best grandmother a boy could ask for. We're praying that she can be in as much comfort as possible.

Tayah ate solid food (rice cereal) for the first time this week. Not sure if she liked it or was just plain confused by it. Here's our angel baby's reaction:

No comments: