Saturday, September 29, 2012

Catching Up, Yet Again

Here is our family the day we blessed our baby Cambria, Sunday, September 2, 2012. We love our four sweet children! Nice of our scarecrows to photo bomb our family shot.
We have woefully gotten out of the habit of sharing our updates, so today is the day to do so. Life is going very well for us. Cambria has infused our family with so much joy. She is a sweet, sweet baby who coos, smiles, and melts our hearts constantly.

Two days after she was born, our pediatrician told us he heard a heart murmur. A few hours later, she and I were in a dark room where they administered an echocardiogram. It was determined later that night that she had two small holes in the wall the connected her ventricles. This is called Ventricular Septal Defect or VSD. This caused us lots of worry, but things appear to be under control. We're visiting with a pediatric cardiologist and he is optimistic that, like many cases of VSD, the holes will close up naturally. It is adorable to hear Tayah pray "Please help Cambria's little holes in her heart, that they will get better."

Beyond that, she had some early challenges feeding and gaining weight, but we're thrilled at the progress she is making. Elizabeth is amazing! We cannot go far or be gone long, but this little angel is worth every bit of it.

We blessed her in early September and loved having Elizabeth's parents stay with us for a week, along with some other family. We loved sharing our special day with those closest to us!

The girls with some BYU cheerleaders at the annual
Cougar Kickoff. Go Cougars!
Kadence and Tayah have started school and are loving it! Kadence has adjusted well to 1st grade and going to school all day. She enjoys all her subjects, is reading at a very high level (level K), loves art and music, eating lunch in the cafeteria, and going all day long. Tayah jumped right into Spanish/English immersion and is learning a lot. Both are making good friends, with Kadence being our shy girl and Tayah being, well, Tayah--outgoing and vivacious!

Stockton really enjoys being at home alone with Mommy. We could not ask for a sweeter, more fun boy than our little man. He will snuggle on request and always wants to "keep eye on Cambria!"

I experienced a shock at work. After 10 years in the Annual Giving office, the past four as the Director, I was asked to assume a different role, that of a Donor Engagement Officer. The goal in mind is to help give me experiences in different facets of LDS Philanthropies, so I can be a better asset and leader now and in the future. This position is in charge of our legacy societies for the four Church school, meaning people who leave BYU, BYU-Hawaii, BYU-Idaho, or LDS Business College in their wills, trusts, etc. Furthermore, I'll have the opportunity of working with and stewarding some of our amazing donors. This is a whole new world for me. The move has been absolutely bittersweet. Those who know me know that change is always something that hits me hard. Transfers on the mission were rough, because the love I had for the people. This is similar. I have loved what I've done for so long--essentially my entire professional career--as well as the people with whom I worked. For the first time in 12 years, I will no longer directly involved with the Telefund and the students there. Lots of sadness for those reasons, but excitement and optimism for the potential possibilities ahead. We are transitioning right now and in the next few weeks, everything will be official.

Other events: Brigham City Temple Dedication; Stake Conference; a few BYU Football games.

Kidisms:

Tayah:  "Daddy, you need to go to work to make lots of money really fast!"
Kadence: "Mommy, everything is made in China!"
Tayah: "Don't worry, Daddy...I'm not going to grow up for a few days."
Kadence: "What is Feed-ex?" (Fed-Ex)
Tayah: "When I get married, you can come visit me."
Stockton: "Daddy, we are boys, so we're on the same team. We are best friends!"
Stockton: "We are the go-getters!"

We truly feel blessed for all the experiences we are having, but grand and challenging. We are learning a lot of valuable lessons. Above all, nothing is better than being together as a family. That makes everything just marvelous!

1 comment:

Amanda said...

Scary times with Cambria! That's not an unusual defect, is it? I think I remember talking about it in my human anatomy class. And, here's a strange question for you, are c-sec babies more likely to have it? I'll keep her in my prayers, too.

You are going to be amazing in your new capacity at work. Sounds like you're going to get to meet some wonderful people. I hope you'll keep us posted on how it's going for you are you move forward.