Tuesday, March 8, 2011

Tuesdays are CANCELLED!

So I've decided (I'll let David know when he gets home) that we need a break from Tuesdays here at our house! Most people don't like Mondays because it means going back to work, but Tuesdays have quickly moved to the most dreaded days here at our house. Last Tuesday was when David got a call from a neighbor (who I was playing basketball with) saying I dislocated my finger and we spent 3 hours at the doctor getting it fixed and a splint/brace made. I'm so grateful for great friends and family who were so willing to help! Well, today, we thought we were safe from calling David with injuries since I am sitting out for at least 6 weeks from basketball...not the case. No, I didn't play basketball, but I did have to call David with an injury report.

So the kids and I were dancing to music from our piano (it has a ton of songs programmed in). We were supposed to just dance for a minute before getting ready to run to the grocery store for a few things. We were having such a great time that we danced to quite a few songs. I had just told the kids that we'd do "one more song and then we'd need to go to the bathroom, change Stockton's diaper, and get shoes on" so we could go. I turned to turn down the keyboard a little bit, and I heard a loud thump followed by screaming (which wasn't too abnormal for our kids to bonk something and then scream in reaction). I turned around and saw Tayah on her back with blood pooling up in her eye. I scooped her up and ran into the kitchen to get some towels to slow the flow of blood and find out where she was hurt. Meanwhile, I yelled to Kadence, get me a napkin, so she could help. I quickly saw that her eye was okay, but that she had "hole" in between her eyebrows. She had such a deep cut that the skin was stretched out and it looked like a hole! I quickly yelled to Kadence to bring me the phone knowing I needed to send Kadence & Stockton somewhere because we were about to make our first trip to Instacare.

I called Jenny (neighbor) and bless her heart, she understood enough of what I was saying (above Tayah's screams, I think I said something about "Tayah has a hole in her head-can you watch Kadence & Stockton?) to run straight over and after she saw our predicament, she told me she'd drive me over to Instacare. She took us over and dropped Tayah & I off (planning that we'd call her to pick us up when we were done). They had a nurse come out and look at her gash, and then recommended that we go to Utah Valley ER. She said that at this instacare, they don't sedate, and so chances were that she'd be fidgeting and uncomfortable and with the cut right in the middle of her face, it would probably not be a pretty scar. We were better off at the ER with a plastic surgeon (she called for me to make sure one was in today).

So Jenny had to load 4 kids back up in the car to come right back to pick us up. While we waited the 5 minutes for her, I called David from the Instacare and told him that we were headed to the hospital (I hadn't called him at this point because it all happened so quick). He was really surprised and I told him to just meet us at the ER in 20-25 minutes. Poor David didn't know what to expect-I think I just told him that she cut her face open, needed stitches, and we were being sent to the ER and to meet us there. By then, her cut wasn't really bleeding, so Jenny dropped me off at home so I could get the car and Tayah and I left for the hospital. We met David at the door to the ER and they took us right in. We had to wait a while in the room for the doctor to be ready to stitch her up. She didn't like the shot in the bum to sedate her, but she did great and they stitched her right up and we just had to wait a while for her to "wake up". It was almost like she was drunk as it started wearing off. When she finally tried to talk, her speech was a little slurred and her vision was blurred. She told me, "Mom, you have 10 eyes...see, one, two, three, four" (Apparently she only really saw 4). We came home several hours later, with her still dizzy and she wanted to just go to bed. The doctor said she's fine and we just have to go back in 5 days to get the top set of stitches out (it was so deep they had to sew the tissues together with dissolvable stitches before they could sew the skin together). So when asked how she did it, Tayah said, "I bonked my head on the wall". All I can figure out is that she must have tripped/stumbled and hit smack on the windowsill...it was the right height, and was the only thing that could have made that kind of a gash. Plus, she was laying flat on her back under it after it happened.

This is a picture I took really quickly as Jenny was getting her car (I think it looked worse in person, especially before it was cleaned up).

4 comments:

Amber said...

so, what actually happened, though? How did she get the huge hole? So glad it's over and y'all survived!! Scary being a mom, eh?

Tamra said...

That happened at our house when Elijah was 3. I kept saying, "Elijah has a hole in his head!" He only got a few stitches, and his scar is on his eyebrow line so it's not very visible. Fun times!

Will and Heidi said...

I'd say you need a break from Tuesdays, too! sorry to hear about it. best of luck to you both

Lora said...

Sorry about bad Tuesdays and all the hospital visits.