Friday, April 15, 2011

LDS Church News article: Blindness

As I was looking at some old files, I found this.  This was a little article I wrote that was published in the Church News several years ago.  Enjoy!

Blindness is a prevalent theme in the scriptures. The textual accounts of Jesus Christ’s earthly ministry are laced with examples of the Savior restoring sight to those who could not physically see. While these acts were truly miraculous and faith-building, more moving were the occasions where He helped others—believers and non-believers alike—overcome varying forms of spiritual blindness.



No account has illustrated this more vividly for me than that of the disciples on the path to Emmaus found in Luke 24:13-32. In my opinion, these were diligent, faithful followers of Christ who tried their hardest to fully live the gospel. As they traversed the road while discussing the Savior’s recent crucifixion, Jesus Himself “drew near and went with them.” Despite their desire to see Him again, their eyes were “holden” and they could not recognize that Christ was walking with them, teaching them of the scriptures and of His own divine mission.


After blessing and breaking bread with them, the Savior disappeared, leaving the two men to exclaim, “Did not our heart burn within us, while he talked with us by the way, and while he opened to us the scriptures?”


How often is Jesus Christ walking life’s roads with us, and how frequently are our eyes “holden” from His love, mercy, and goodness? There are indeed times when we are impervious to what He has done and what He now does for us. I know there have been many instances when I personally was unable to “see” His hand in my life even though I have a deep testimony that it is always there helping and guiding me. This scripture has done much to help me avoid those blind moments and keep my focus on His reality and on the personal relationship I have with Him.

-LDS Church News, March 17, 2007

3 comments:

Sarah Washburn said...

Thank you for sharing that. I really needed it. It is a beautiful thought and truth.

David J. Smith said...

Glad you liked it! Hope you're well Sarah!

Rebecca said...

I love that stories about the disciples who walked with Christ. A popular hymn in the hymnbook "Abide with Me 'Tis Eventide" really expresses it quite well. At least in spanish . . .but maybe I'm just partial to that language. =)