
Recommend:
The Boy in the Striped Pajamas: simply a poignant, powerful, amazingly well told movie about two boys during the Holocaust. It was so emotional that while we highly recommend it, we probably couldn't bear to watch it a second time (like Hotel Rwanda and Pursuit of Happiness). A must see.
Swing Vote: well done, entertaining movie that really was representative of the political landscape we find our country. Who knew Kevin Costner could play the hick role so well?!
The Secret Life of Bees: Elizabeth said it was a sweet story; I, unfortunately, didn't make it through (even though I rented it--we'll need to finish it up another time).
Australia: Entertaining enough, despite Nicole Kidman (who I cannot stand for the life of me). Beautiful scenery.
The Express: who doesn't like an inspirational sports movie? Can anyone say no to that?
Okay:
Errand of Angels: we were expecting something like the Best Two Years--the best LDS film out there. Not remotely close.

X-Files: this looked like a movie whose stars and producers just needed to make a little quick money. Mediocre story with mediocre performances, especially if you were a big fan of the television show.
Henry Poole is Here: Intriguing storyline with some good moments.
Avoid at all costs:
Brideshead Revisited: Horrid, putrid, pointless, terrible, horrendous, painful. Do I need to go on? It was so awful that they should have called it Brideshead Visited--I couldn't imagine anyone wanting to visit his place a second time. The tagline says "...everything comes with a price." The price of this movie was two+ hours that Elizabeth and I can never get back!

Lakeview Terrace: disturbingly disturbing. Samuel L. Jackson can sure pick them...
Thank heavens for the Red Box (and the codes...we've not paid for a movie in four+ years; let me know if you don't know what we're talking about here). Feel free to comment if you've seen any of these movies and your thoughts. Let us also know if there are ones we should add to our ever-growing movies to see list. And no, Twlight and High School Musical Three don't count as movies...
8 comments:
I enjoyed Australia, Marc hasn't seen it yet...thanks for the reviews of the other ones...haven't seen any of them. Have you seen Valkyrie? (I probably misspelled that) I haven't seen it yet, but am curious if it's worth the time?
What?!?! High School Musical 3 Certainly is worth the time! That's my favorite by far! But I'm glad to know about the others. I wanted to see Australia and Secret Life of the Bees!
FYI-I think I liked Australia better than David did, but all the other reviews I agree with. I have yet to see Twilight and HSM 3, but will be seeing them sometime without my hubby, I'm sure. :)
I won't even come close to recommending Twilight...haven't even thought about touching the books yet.
LOVED Secret Life of Bees. It is one of my favorite books, however, so I feel a little biased there. The movie actually follows the book closely, so I appreciated that. I haven't seen any of the others yet. Gives me a few to put on the list!
I want to know about the Red Box codes. Can you fill me in on your secrets?
hook us up w/ the codes!!!
We haven't seen Valkerie, but it's on our list! As for the Red Box codes, go to www.insideredbox.com. There are posted codes that you can use to rent movies. You swipe your credit or debit card, but it doesn't charge it (if it's your debit, it'll charge $1.00, but then credit it back). You can use one code several times by using your different credit cards. They also give out free codes every Monday and Wednesday. It's great!
I am grateful that Twilight and HSM3 don't count as movies (I liked HSM, and was okay with HSM 2, but HSM 3? Bleh). You have just earned some respect points in my book!
Post a Comment