Wednesday, August 4, 2010

A time for "firsts"

The things to write about have been piling up, and the more they pile up, the more overwhelming it is to think about writing them down. Well today is a new day, and I will not do anything else until I finish this post! We've had a bunch of firsts-mainly with Stockton-here at our house the last little while. Stockton had his first haircut! We knew it was definitely time for a haircut when his hair hung down to the bottom of his ears (mind you, it was scraggly and we kind of tucked it behind his ears so it wasn't so obvious). I attempted to do it while David was at work-in fact, I don't think I even told him I was going to do it that day. It was quite the challenge as I let Stockton sit on the floor and I attempted to cut the back. The back was all I managed to get done because he loved the clippers and kept wanting to see them, so he was moving all over the place trying to get a better look, and I felt like I was trying to "chase" him with the clippers. The next day I tackled the top and finished. About 2 weeks later, I decided it wasn't short enough (I used a 6 on the back/bottom and an 8 guard on the top originally). I was afraid the first time of cutting it too short and even though I cut off about 1 1/2 inches all around, there was still more to be cut. So again, while David was at work, we attempted it in the bathroom this time, still on the floor and went a little shorter. I have to admit, it turned out pretty cute-nothing fancy, but he looks so different. I'm glad it wasn't traumatic for him-he had a blast!


Stockton also started crawling this past week. He's been scooting/army crawling on his belly for almost 3 months now, but never showed interest in crawling until the last 2 weeks. He would crawl about 3-4 times and then drop back down on his belly-I guess he thought that way was faster. The last couple of days we've caught him crawling 4 or 5 feet. His preferred method is still the army crawl on his belly, but at least he now knows he can do it.

On the 23rd of July Stockton pulled himself up to a standing position for the first time. We went in to get him up from his nap and there he was, standing up in his crib-that meant we had to lower his crib mattress. Now, he will grab onto anything to pull himself up and he's starting to move a little bit along the furniture.

Last weekend I took the kids up to Pocatello to visit my sister's family. David had some things going on at home, so we left him here and drove up there Saturday afternoon. We were able to be there when they blessed Alyssa in church and we had a lot of great food and lots of fun visiting. The girls loved playing with their cousins, staying up late, seeing Granny and Gramps, going to the park, and even loved going to class with their cousins at church (although it took a few minutes for Kadence to be okay with that since it was a different teacher and music leader than she was used to since we weren't in Springville). We left after lunch on Monday to come back home, and I had to practically drag them out to the car. They kept telling me they wanted to stay there forever. We all missed David and wanted to be home, but the girls loved playing with their cousins and didn't want that part to end. Thanks Marc & Marie for a fun weekend. They did great on the drive home-they were so tuckered out from late nights and playing at the park before the drive that Stockton slept 95% of the way home and the girls both took about an hour nap and Willy Wonka entertained them the rest of the way home. It was a great weekend. It was too bad I forgot the camera (I have a really bad habit of that).

2 comments:

Amanda said...

Our lives sound pretty similar at the moment. :) I guess that's what we get for having 3 kids about the same ages. We'll have to get together while we're in UT! (Too bad it's not Swiss Days weekend...)

David J. Smith said...

Great post Sweetheart...way to catch up on several things. Our little Stockton is a keeper!