Friday saw us visiting Dr. Rees for our routine check-up for Elizabeth and the baby. The girls were very excited to hear the "baby beat," or in other words, the baby's heartbeat. Well, we were given quite the scare...or at least two of them. First off, it took him two to three minutes to find the heartbeat. That was a long, nervewracking few minutes, as he usually is able to find it quickly. Thank heavens he finally found it, but then he started feeling around and eventually told us that we were appearing larger than we should be. His exact words: "I would feel better if we went downstairs for an ultrasound to see if there's more than one baby in there." Heart attack time! Both my parents are twins (yes, really), but we thought it skipped a generation or went to the girls (Carissa!). Of course, the technician was running late, so 45 minutes later, we unexpectedly saw our baby...yes, only one! She gave us her best guess at the gender, but we'll find out more in a month. As you can see, this visit was anything but routine!
A lot of thoughts went through my head during that 45 minutes...thoughts of nervousness, but also thoughts of excitement. Four children three and younger would've keep us going. And if they are anything like the girls pictured above, we would've taken two. Oh well, we'll gladly settle for one...and we are excited!
4 comments:
Holy cow I'd be scared out of my whits! However I only want 4, the advantage is that I wouldn't have to go through pregnancy again--but who knows what your thoughts are..on #.
My boys LOVE the heartbeat they call it the horse!
LOL! I always measure big at the beginning--and this time my Dr. told me he thought my dates were off. By a month. Right. I just measure big. I've now had two U/S that have both shown this baby is 4 days ahead of his due date. I guess that would explain why this one was a surprise! :) I can't wait to hear what you're having!!
Congrats! Next time you visit Dr. Rees you will have to tell him hello. He is my wife's cousin. He took over the office from his dad.
But twins are so much fun! I can totally imagine what that 45 minutes was like - it is a little overwhelming! Glad you have a healthy baby boy coming!
Post a Comment