Wednesday, July 22, 2009

I can't find my mommy!

So, 2 days ago (on Monday) I was putting the girls down for naps and successfully got Tayah down. I went to put Kadence down and she started throwing every possible fit to avoid taking a nap. I knew she was really tired, so I wanted her to take a nap (the last few weeks she's only been taking a few naps a week)-for both of our sanity. Well, I finally got so fed up with all her tantrums (she was screaming right outside Tayah's door) that I carried her into the bathroom to brush her teeth. She continued to scream, and I felt like I'd better go out for a few minutes and ask for a little divine guidance so that I would not hurt my daughter. I told her that I was really mad and so she could cry in there until she was done, but I was done listening to it. I went out and closed the door, then went into my room, closed the door and went into my closet (with that door open) and said a prayer. I heard her still crying, and a minute later I heard our bedroom door open, but I didn't look up, so I just assumed that she was still in our room. Well, a few minutes later, I thought I could hear crying, but it sounded a lot farther away...almost as if it were coming from outside. Immediately I thought, did Kadence go outside looking for me? I didn't hear the door, but I thought i'd better go check on her. and keep praying that I wasn't so mad anymore.

I hurried downstairs, and went out the door, only to see/hear Kadence crying, walking down the sidewalk, screaming, "I can't find my mommy!" over and over again. I ran out and called out to her (she was in front of the neighbor's house by this time). I carried her inside and sat down and had a "talk" with her. I got her calmed down enough to talk, but she said she looked for me inside, then went outside to look, and when she couldn't find me, she was going "to tell Sister Wilkins I can't find my mommy". I felt terrible, but I have to admit, it was pretty cute. I had to explain to her that I was really mad that she wasn't being a good listener, and so I needed a little break to make sure I would be a good mommy. I reassured her that mommy and daddy would never, ever leave her alone. I asked her why she was going to tell Sister Wilkins she couldn't find her mommy, and she told me, "because I couldn't find you, so I was going to tell Sister Wilkins or Sister Fowler". I thought that was pretty smart of her (we haven't talked to her about that kind of thing much, but we have been talking about how lifeguards help us and if you ever can't find your mommy or daddy, then a lifeguard can help you, since we go to 7 Peaks a few times a week). I had to tell her that was a good idea, but she shouldn't go to Sister Fowler's house (only because it's across the street), so I told her a few other options that wouldn't require her to cross the street. I then reassured her again that we would never ever leave her or Tayah, and that I was sorry I made her so sad and worried.

After lots of hugs, and reassurances, we finally agreed that she didn't have to take a nap, but needed to sit quietly and read books so that we could both have our "quiet time" while Tayah finished her nap. Every half our or so the rest of the day she would tell me how she couldn't find me, so she was going to tell Sis. Wilkins, and of course, that was the first thing she told Tayah when she woke up and the first thing she told David when he walked in the door from work (luckily I already gave him the rundown, so he wasn't worried). The whole experience was a little scary, but at the same time, was a little cute I have to admit, so see her crying for me. I felt bad that she got scared when she couldn't find me, but we had a great talk, and were able to have a great afternoon, and haven't been butting heads since then like we were for several days leading up to that.

4 comments:

Amanda said...

YAY for Elizabeth posts! :) I'm so impressed that you were able to walk away from your cranky daughter and have the presence of mind to pray. That's a great example to me. I usually just get mad and start yelling. Hopefully next time I encounter a similar situation, I'll remember your experience.

And, good for Kadence for knowing where to go when she couldn't find mommy. I don't think either of my kiddos would have any idea what to do if they couldn't find me.

I hope you're feeling fabulous and that life is going well for you also!

David J. Smith said...

Although I wasn't here, I can clearly picture this scene. I'll go ahead and admit that it is very cute. Our little girls are so wonderful. You do an amazing job with them each day. I know it can be tough and trying on patience for any parent. I am so grateful the girls have you as their mother!

Robyn said...

Sounds like you had quite the day- life is an adventure with a 3 year old! I'm glad you had a happy ending!
Could you send my your email address? I'll send you the jam recipe- it's really easy and so good!

Robyn

Anonymous said...

Oh - I love that story. It makes the rest of us moms feel better when we can't find our children...