
I know it may seem odd to include a post like this on our family blog, but hey...it's our blog and I'm writing this entry! Friday, Utah Jazz owner Larry H. Miller passed away due to diabetic complications. Anyone who knows me, knows that I kind of like the Utah Jazz. Needless to say, Larry meant a lot to me because of that. In fact, he once came and spoke to the LDS Philanthropies staff (he's been a loyal supporter and donor to BYU for many years). He spent 1 1/2 hours talking to us, sharing stories and encouragement. He even shared the moving story behind him keeping the Jazz in Utah (it involved President Hinckley. If you want to hear the story, I'll glad tell you!).
Afterwards, I took the opportunity to approach him and thank him for keeping the Jazz here. In fact, I thanked him for helping making my childhood what it was. It was a fun conversation.
But, beyond the basketball, he was simply an incredible person. Going from rags to riches through ingenuity, integrity and hard work, he led a truly remarkable life. He was a man who stuck to his guns, much to the chagrin of the "world." He did some controversial things, but never strayed from what he believed. I respect him greatly and will miss his energy, his candor, and his example. Like one of the many newspaper articles I've read, Utah lost "one of the good guys." We'll miss you Larry!
No comments:
Post a Comment