Saturday, July 26, 2008

Cabela's, IKEA, Mo-Tab, and the Osmonds...



Seeing as Pioneer Day itself was fairly low-key for us, we decided to jam-pack Friday with as much as we could. Although it's been around a few years, we've never taken a trip up to Cabela's in Lehi. Frankly, my name and hunting have never been used in the same sentence (until I just typed this sentence...). It was a blast! There is a lot of the kids to see, including a huge aquarium, some animal displays (to rival the Bean Museum), and even an airplane.


Kadence and Tayah particularly enjoyed the huge fish.


I thought this was a bit funny...and morbid!


We're glad we went, although we'll probably never spend money there--except perhaps for their pretzels!

IKEA was our next stop. We had a fun, albeit messy lunch, followed by a fun stroll through the store with a few purchases (most importantly, some European chocolate!). They have three complete living areas, ranging from 275 square feet to 576. I find these displays amazing! Although it's European, it reminds of Japan's cramped living conditions.

We were glad to have a double date with our wonderful friends Richard and Kristin Gordon. They invited us to accompany them to the Mormon Tabernacle Choir/Osmond Family concert up at the Conference Center. I loved exactly half the show...the half where the choir sang! I respect the Osmonds for all they've done. They've been the main way a lot of people became exposed to the Church. They are good examples in a realm that's not so Gospel-convenient. That said, their music is not something you'd find in the Smith home. A bit cheesy to say the least. I was awestruck to see the way the audience fawned over them. Wow! Several standing ovations (we didn't succumb to the crowd...got to stick with our principles. Only truly great things deserve a S.O.!) It was a wonderful evening and the choir never ceases to amaze me. They're something I think a lot of members take for granted. Thanks Gordons for a great night out!

4 comments:

Amanda said...

Did you guys make it up to the laser gun range at Cabela's? It's up in the houseware section--and it was a lot of fun!

And, BTW, I love IKEA! I am always amazed by how much they fit into those tiny spaces. Makes me appreciate my 750 sq. ft. :)

It was great to see you today! We look forward to getting together with you guys sometime soon...at least in 4 weeks, if not sooner.

Jason, Kodi, Jake and Tyler said...

It was fun to see you two boys, if only for a moment. I watched the concert on TV, and I TOTALLY AGREE WITH YOU!! I, for one, am NOT a fan of the osmonds. I don't like listening to them, and I don't like looking at them. Bleck! I know, I'm mean. But I am glad you had fun!
kodi

David J. Smith said...

Kodi--it was funny running into you at the stoplight! How's your little boy? Glad you agree with me about the Osmonds. You'd think they changed the world, or something!!

David J. Smith said...

Amanda- no we didn't do the gun gallery, although it looked fun. Have a great day!