Wednesday, January 30, 2008

Comings and Goings

So much has happened the past few days and there just hasn't been time (or I simply haven't made the time) to jot them down. Here are a few things:

(1) New Beginnings: Elizabeth and two of her Laurels planned a wonderful New Beginnings program last evening for our Young Women. The skits, commercials, talks, and refreshments were stellar. The girls did a mock news program introducing the YW values. So much fun! Elizabeth did a fabulous job planning and helping make it a rousing success. She's my wife!

(2) Garrett's baby blessing: We had the privilege of participating in our nephew's blessing Sunday evening. He was born prematurely and had a rough few months. We're so thrilled to have him in our family, healthy and adorable. Although he was a preemie and was born over three months after Tayah, he almost outweighs her!

(3) Snow: and lots of it! It makes things trickier, but it sure is beautiful.

(4) President Gordon B. Hinckley: we were inundated with calls Sunday night and when we heard the news, it was the most interesting mix of sorrow and joy. We will miss him immensely, but take comfort in the fact that he's with his dear wife, our Savior, and our Heavenly Father. It's been poignant watching all the stories on the news, reading the articles, and hearing the touching quotes from political and religious leaders alike. I'm sure his funeral will be an extremely spiritual experience.

I have many memories of our Prophet. When I was 18, I sang at the Mount Timpanogas Temple dedication. I was the only YSA in the group and was situated in the front row...two feet behind the Prophet. Hope I was on key that day! He visited Japan right before I got there and the influence he had on the Japanese saints was profound. They truly love him over there. Working for LDS Philanthropies and BYU has afforded me opportunities to be near him. I shook his hand once at a BYU-Idaho dinner (right after he had gently seated his wife and headed to fix her a plate. He was a Prophet in all he did!). What a miracle it was to be part of the Gordon B. Hinckley Alumni and Visitors Center. Our Telefund was able to bring in well over 20,000 gift for the building. To see it be finished in one year's time, breaking ground in 2006 and dedicating it in 2007 (both on Pres. Hinckley's birthday) was astounding. I went to a luncheon after the ground breaking and his whole family was there with a birthday cake. His comments were hilarious and touching.

President Hinckley will always have a special place in our hearts. We love him so...

No comments: